Thursday, May 24, 2012

Beginners - Review

Each character has a different means of communication.

Beginners is one of my new favorite movies.  I don't think I've ever felt such an immediate and personal connection to a movie.  It's not that any of the specific plot points have happened in my life (no folks, my father isn't gay), but rather that I find myself thinking a lot like the main character and even the filmmakers.  This film is a distinct experience, a piece of cinema with true personality.  The director's style mirrors the mindset of the main character.  Viewers are presented with "simple and happy," but we end up with "complex and emotional."  Like the characters in the film, we're constantly starting a new chapter in our lives.  The players often change from one chapter to the next, as we, too, evolve from day to day.  I found the film to be a beautiful example of modern American cinema.  I feel privileged to have seen it twice now, whereas most people will likely never even have access to it due to its limited release.  Beginners reminds us that it's OK to stop chasing tennis balls.  Go after the foxes instead.

5 out of

No comments:

Post a Comment