Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man - Review

Look out!  Here comes the Spider-Man... again.

The Amazing Spider-Man is a fun, but flawed film.  If you can overlook these flaws (see below), you'll be entertained.  I was entertained.  Maybe I'm being a glass-half-full kinda guy on this one because I love Spiderman so much.  This is one instance when I know the movie isn't perfect and missteps often but I still have a good time watching it.

It will be understandably difficult for viewers to not play the "let's compare this one to the original series" game.  Don't.  Like comparing books to movies based on books, they're different animals and should be judged accordingly.  Of course, you'll probably like one more than the other, but that doesn't mean both can't be good or bad.  It's in their nature to be simply be different... because they are.

I decided to review this one atypically because I had such mixed reactions to the film.  One second I would be loving it, and the next I'd be shaking my head.

The Good:

  • The chemistry (science pun) between the leads is fantastic.   
  • I also liked the Dr. Connors/Lizard villain.  It's a sort of extreme version of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.  
  • The film boasts many great set pieces.  Notable action sequences include Lizard roaming about an abandoned Oscorp, the sewer sequences, and a showdown at Parker's school.
  • Martin Sheen and Sally Field make for a nice Uncle Ben and Aunt May.
  • We get to see much more of Oscorp, a place teeming with innovative science and an area left unexplored by the previous Spidey flicks.
  • The film is wonderfully shot on the latest digital technology, which makes it easy on the eyes (unless you experience 3D discomfort).  Speaking of which, it was a great one to see in 3D!   
  • The Stan Lee cameo.


The Bad (and the Ugly):

  • Judging from the many trailers, a TON of footage (including entire scenes and plot points) were cut from the theatrical release.  Some parts of the film felt like they weren't given their due time on screen while others felt dragged out.  The editing seemed off to me.
  • I hated skater Peter Parker.  Parker is supposed to be a likable, intelligent nerd who becomes a superhero.  I didn't get that vibe here.
  • No J. Jonah Jameson?  Disappointing.
  • The basketball and crane scenes were silly.
  • For me, the film didn't deliver on all of its grand promises of "the dark backstory never been told about Peter Parker's past."  We get little hints of it here and there, but it's all really just a tease until they figure out an inevitable sequel.  Even the scene during the credits sequence gives us very little information.  You can probably guess who the man in the shadows is, but that's not really tremendously helpful.
  • I hope the quickness with which Hollywood decided to re-boot this series will not predict more re-boots in the near future.  I'm looking at you, Twilight series...
Despite all the nonsense, I still enjoyed the film.   

out of 5 (because I'd recommend seeing it and overall it was more good than bad/ugly)

No comments:

Post a Comment