Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Watch - Review

"Look at him and understand me. Look at both of us, but understand no one. Listen to my words, and hear his face."

The Watch gets spoiled by the trailers.  The interrogation scene pictured above makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.  However, many of the film's best moments are given away in its trailers.  The best comedies don't reveal their hand during their marketing efforts, and save the big guns for showtime.  This is not one of the best comedies.  Unlike many critics, I found the mix between sci-fi horror and raunchy humor to be a fun idea.  Though there were some sequences that were well done, the overall execution could've been better.  Ben Stiller has been one of my favorite comedians since I saw him in Heavyweights, but it's newcomer Richard Ayoade who steals many of the scenes.  Ayoade is the director of the wonderful Submarine which came out last year.  I absolutely recommend seeing that film.  As for The Watch, if you haven't seen the trailers, you'll probably enjoy yourself more than I did.  

2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment